Health unit coordinator Job Profile and Description
A health unit coordinator is usually employed in health care organizations like hospitals, nursing homes and also in insurance companies. They have to assist medical staff like surgeon and doctors of a health care organization. They act as a link between the doctor and a patient as well as nursing and other departments. Sometimes a health unit coordinator has to perform primary examination of the patients and also direct the patients to the concerned doctors who will help in identifying the ailment of the patient. They also have to ensure that appointments are given to the patients. They may also have to draft documents like birth certificate.
Health unit coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
The various duties and responsibilities of a health unit coordinator are as follows:
- Greeting and checking in the patients
- Drafting documents like death certificates, birth certificates, medical treatment report etc.
- Ensuring that patients are admitted as well as discharged properly
- Managing medical equipments and ordering supplies if required
- Handing test reports to the doctors
- Performing primary check up of the patients
- Solving the complaints of the patients
- Solving administration related queries of doctors and nurses
Health unit coordinator Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required to be possessed by a health unit coordinator are as follows:
- Excellent verbal as well as written communication skills
- Ability to do multitasking
- Good coordination skills
- Must believe in team work
- Sound knowledge of all medical procedures
- Good interpersonal skills.
Health unit coordinator Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required for a health unit coordinator is:
- Masters degree in health care field.
- Training in hospital management
- Must pass the health unit coordinator certification
Health unit coordinator Salary
The average annual salary of a health unit coordinator is $56000.