Fashion designer Job Profile and Description
A fashion designer develops and creates new designs either for a clothing range, accessories or shoes and then practically applies those designs in a concrete form by working with tailors and other workers. He may be an independent designer or work under a fashion house and accordingly follow the requirements of target consumer. He is also involved in the marketing and pricing of these products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A fashion designer needs to discuss design ideas with the sales and management executives or clients
- He has to guide and direct workers involved in drawing and cutting patterns and making the garments.
- He is also responsible for identifying target markets for his designs, keeping in mind the consumer’s age, gender, and socioeconomic status
- He needs to provide sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and arrange for presentations
- He should buy clothing and accessory items needed to complete the designs
- Fashion designers are also consulted for movies or theatre and he needs to research the styles and periods of clothing needed for those productions
- Visit textile showrooms to know about the latest fabrics and test them
- He must regularly attend fashion shows and read fashion magazines to get information about new styles and consumer preferences
Skills and Specifications
- He must be a good listener and pay attention to what others are saying and take their suggestions into account
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- He must be hard-working as the conceptualisation and implementation process takes a long time
- Should have basic knowledge of sales and marketing
Education and Qualifications:
There are both diploma and degree courses available for fashion designing. You can also choose a particular field to specialise in.
Portrait Photographer Job Description
Hair Stylist Job Description
Fashion Sales Job Description
Fashion Communications Job Description
Design Director Job Description
Advertising Designer Job Description
Fashion Cosmetologists Job Description
Fashion Textile Manufacturer Job Description
Fashion Choreographer Job Description
Fashion Publicist Job Description
Fashion Model Job Description
Fashion Trend Forecaster Job Description