Billing Clerk Job Profile and Description
Billing and posting clerks, or simply billing clerks are presented with the fulfilled sales orders to initiate the billing cycle by verifying the appropriate charges, print bills, and transmit them by registered mail or email as invoice statements to customers. While most companies have streamlined the billing operations with automated billing systems, there are still manual processes required such as in the healthcare industries.
Billing Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
- Retrieve sales information and work on system queue of customers to be billed for the period; alternatively process printed sales slips for invoicing in a manual process with the help of a spreadsheet system
- Journalize into the proper ledger accounts or post entries into the accounting systems to credit sales information into accounts receivables
- Enter into the billing system all the mandatory information to generate the bill
- Review all information to ensure they match sales information before finalizing the bill/invoice for mailing to customers
- Review immediate past billing cycle to reconcile cash or payment receipts
- Prepare transmittal reports for changes in accounts receivables position
- Encode and add amounts of transaction documents, such as checks or money orders, using encoding machines.
- Compute for sales commissions based on payments received for the period
Billing Clerk Skills and Specifications
- Has high organizational skills to handle multiple sales information for invoicing
- Has high computer literacy to use PC and billing systems
- Has a good command of the English language, both verbal and written
- Has above average interpersonal skills to work with a team of billing clerks
Billing Clerk Education and Qualifications
A high school diploma or GED is basic to the position while a 2-year college course in accountancy or mathematics is preferred.
Billing Clerk Salary
The median hourly wage for Billing Clerks stood at $31,000 in 2008. It can go up or down depending on industry type and the company’s market reach.
Office Maintenance Job Description
Office Attendant Job Description
Medical Office Job Description
Front Office Hotel Job Description
Cash Office Job Description
Business Office Supervisor Job Description
Assistant Office Manager Job Description
General Office Manager Job Description
Office Assistant Supervising Job Description
Grading Inspector Job Description
Crime Analyst Job Description
Child Support Investigating Officer Job Description