Florist Profile and Description
Florists are typically both floral designers and sales clerks in small flower boutique shops who take care of cutting flower and orchid bloom stems, arranging them in vases or displays, pricing and selling them to walk-in customers or phoned orders for which they subcontract couriers for the purpose. They design displays by using the appropriate flowers and sell ornamental and fashion bouquets and corsages, interior centerpieces of tables and for occasions like valentines, Christmas, weddings, funerals, etc. Florists also harness ornamental accessories like ribbons, balloons, candles, small toys and gift baskets in their displays.
Florist Duties and Responsibilities
- Enter and maintain supplier partnerships with flower and orchid growers for a constant supply of fresh blooms.
- Perform quality control checks on deliveries, rejecting damaged flowers
- Maintain adequate packaging stocks.
- Capture customer information on delivery addresses, special remarks for occasions, quantity ordered, type of flowers and arrangement specified
- Maintain an online florist web presence for remote shipment orders.
- Enter the correct sales and inventory amounts in the appropriate system
- Operate the cashier point of sale system for walk-in customers.
- Supervise personnel in maintaining store cleanliness and order.
Florist Skills and Specifications
- Must exhibit a knack for creativity in flower arrangement
- Must have excellent accounting skills
- Must be customer-focused in marketing floral products
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills when dealing with clients and fellow employees
Florist Education and Qualifications
- A high school diploma is basic and an experience in as a sales clerk is an advantage
- A certification from the American Institute of Floral Designers is an advantage.
The median annual salary for a florist or floral designer was about $23,300 in 2008 when the mid 50% earned between $18,700 and $29,400. The lowest 10% was paid less than $16,300 while the highest 10% got about $35,000. Florists in malls and supermarkets earned slightly more.
College Education Sales Account Executive Job Description
Secondary Education Sales Account Executive Job Description
Export Sales Manager Job Description
Franchise Sales Manager Job Description
Packaging Sales Manager Job Description
Food Packaging Manager Job Description
Sales Promotions Manager Job Description
Sales Professional Job Description
Regional Sales Manager Job Description
Jewelry Sales Job Description
Hotel Sales Manager Job Description
Car Salesman Job Description